Financial Resources for Cancer Patients

Hello ! We have been receiving many requests from visitors to this site asking for help with money.

This is a huge and difficult issue.  First I would like to ask if there is anyone out there who is an angel, looking to help others suffering from cancer by donating money, this site will do whatever it can to match up people with financial needs with those that want to help. This is a long shot, I understand.

Cancer imposes heavy economic burdens on both patients and their families. For many people, a portion of medical expenses is paid by their health insurance plan. For individuals who do not have health insurance or who need financial assistance to cover health care costs, resources are available, including Government-sponsored programs and services supported by voluntary organizations.

Cancer patients and their families should discuss any concerns they may have about health care costs with their physician, medical social worker, or the business office of their hospital or clinic.

The organizations and resources listed below may offer financial assistance. Organizations that provide publications in Spanish or have Spanish-speaking staff have been identified.

  • The national American Cancer Society (ACS) office can provide the telephone number of the local ACS office serving your area. The ACS offers programs that help cancer patients, family members, and friends cope with the treatment decisions and emotional challenges they face. Information on these programs is available on the Web site listed below. Some materials are published in Spanish. Spanish-speaking staff are available.

Telephone: 1–800–227–2345 (1–800–ACS–2345) Web site:

  • Cancer Care is a national nonprofit agency that offers free support, information, financial assistance, and practical help to people with cancer and their loved ones. Services are provided by oncology social workers and are available in person, over the telephone, and through the agency’s Web site. Cancer Care’s reach also extends to professionals – providing education, information, and assistance. A section of the Cancer Care Web site and some publications are available in Spanish, and staff can respond to calls and e-mails in Spanish.

Cancer Care also operates the AVONCares Program for Medically Underserved Women, which provides financial assistance to low-income, under- and uninsured, underserved women throughout the country who need supportive services (transportation, child care, and home care) related to the treatment of breast and cervical cancers.
Telephone: 1-800-813-4673 (1-800-813-HOPE) Web site:

  • The Candlelighters Childhood Cancer Foundation (CCCF) is a nonprofit organization that provides information, peer support, and advocacy through publications, an information clearinghouse, and a network of local support groups. CCCF maintains a list of organizations to which eligible families may apply for financial assistance.

Telephone: 1-800-366-2223 (1-800-366-CCCF)
Web site:

  • Community voluntary agencies and service organizations such as the Salvation Army, Lutheran Social Services, Jewish Social Services, Catholic Charities, and the Lions Club may offer help. These organizations are listed in your local phone directory. Some churches and synagogues may provide financial help or services to their members.
  • Fund-raising is another mechanism to consider. Some patients find that friends, family, and community members are willing to contribute financially if they are aware of a difficult situation. Contact your local library for information about how to organize fund-raising efforts.
  • General Assistance programs provide food, housing, prescription drugs, and other medical expenses for those who are not eligible for other programs. Funds are often limited. Information can be obtained by contacting your state or local Department of Social Services; this number is found in the local telephone directory.
  • Hill-Burton is a program through which hospitals receive construction funds from the Federal Government. Hospitals that receive Hill-Burton funds are required by law to provide some services to people who cannot afford to pay for their hospitalization. Information about which facilities are part of this program is available by calling the toll-free number or visiting the Web site shown below. A brochure about the program is available in Spanish.

Telephone: 1–800–638–0742

Web site:

  • Income Tax Deductions: Medical costs that are not covered by insurance policies sometimes can be deducted from annual income before taxes. Examples of tax deductible expenses might include mileage for trips to and from medical appointments, out-of-pocket costs for treatment, prescription drugs or equipment, and the cost of meals during lengthy medical visits. The local Internal Revenue Service office, tax consultants, or certified public accountants can determine medical costs that are tax deductible. These telephone numbers are available in the local telephone directory.

Web site:

  • The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (LLS) offers information and financial aid to patients who have leukemia, non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, Hodgkin’s lymphoma, or multiple myeloma. Callers may request a booklet describing LLS’s Patient Aid Program or the telephone number for their local LLS office. Some publications are available in Spanish.

Telephone: 1–800–955–4572
Web site:

  • Medicaid (Medical Assistance), a jointly funded, Federal-State health insurance program for people who need financial assistance for medical expenses, is coordinated by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), formerly the Health Care Financing Administration. At a minimum, states must provide home care services to people who receive Federal income assistance such as Social Security Income and Aid to Families with Dependent Children. Medicaid coverage includes part-time nursing, home care aide services, and medical supplies and equipment. Information about coverage is available from local state welfare offices, state health departments, state social services agencies, or the state Medicaid office. Check the local telephone directory for the number to call. Information about specific state contacts is also available on the Web site listed below. Spanish-speaking staff are available in some offices.

Web site:

  • Medicare is a Federal health insurance program also administered by the CMS. Eligible individuals include those who are 65 or older, people of any age with permanent kidney failure, and disabled people under age 65. Medicare may offer reimbursement for some home care services. Cancer patients who qualify for Medicare may also be eligible for coverage of hospice services if they are accepted into a Medicare-certified hospice program. To receive information on eligibility, explanations of coverage, and related publications, call Medicare at the number listed below or visit their Web site. Some publications are available in Spanish. Spanish-speaking staff are available.

Telephone: 1–800–633–4227 (1–800–MEDICARE)
TTY: 1–877–486–2048
Web site:

  • The Patient Advocate Foundation (PAF) provides education, legal counseling, and referrals to cancer patients and survivors concerning managed care, insurance, financial issues, job discrimination, and debt crisis matters. The Patient Assistance Program is a subsidiary of the PAF. It provides financial assistance to patients who meet certain qualifications. The toll-free number is 1-866-512-3861.

Telephone: 1–800–532–5274
Web site:

  • Patient Assistance Programs are offered by some pharmaceutical manufacturers to help pay for medications. To learn whether a specific drug might be available at reduced cost through such a program, talk with a physician or a medical social worker.
  • The Social Security Administration (SSA) is the Government agency that oversees Social Security and Supplemental Security Income. A description of each of these programs follows. More information about these and other SSA programs is available by calling the toll-free number listed below. Spanish-speaking staff are available.

Telephone: 1–800–772–1213
TTY: 1–800–325–0778

Social Security provides a monthly income for eligible elderly and disabled individuals. Information on eligibility, coverage, and how to apply for benefits is available from the Social Security Administration.

Web site:

  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI) supplements Social Security payments for individuals who have certain income and resource levels. SSI is administered by the Social Security Administration. Information on eligibility, coverage, and how to file a claim is available from the Social Security Administration.

Web site:

  • The State Children’s Health Insurance Program (SCHIP) is a Federal-State partnership that offers low-cost or free health insurance coverage to uninsured children of low-wage, working parents. Callers will be referred to the SCHIP program in their state for further information about what the program covers, who is eligible, and the minimum qualifications.

Telephone: 1-877-543-7669 (1-877-KIDS-NOW)
Web site:

  • Transportation: There are nonprofit organizations that arrange free or reduced cost air transportation for cancer patients going to or from cancer treatment centers. Financial need is not always a requirement. To find out about these programs, talk with a medical social worker. Ground transportation services may be offered or mileage reimbursed through the local ACS or your state or local Department of Social Services.
  • Veterans Benefits: Eligible veterans and their dependents may receive cancer treatment at a Veterans Administration Medical Center. Treatment for service-connected conditions is provided, and treatment for other conditions may be available based on the veteran’s financial need. Some publications are available in Spanish. Spanish-speaking staff are available in some offices.

Telephone: 1-877-222-8387 (1-877-222-VETS)
Web site:

18 Responses to Financial Resources for Cancer Patients

  1. Kathryn Gohman October 19, 2010 at 11:16 pm #

    I wa helping two women who had Breast Cancer and found these Medicaid programs which are little know but offer big help not only to Cancer patients but to all who have illnesses which incur large medical bills. The coverage is state by state but most states offer these Medicaid plans.

    Program #1 Medicaid for Breast & Cervical Cancer patients. Almost immediate coverage (10 days) for those who do not have insurance..three prescriptions paid per month, all medical bils picked up.

    Program #2 Medicaid – Medically Needy Program is for people who have too much income or assets for Medicaid. It is referred to as “share of cost” program because it includes all medical bills for 3 months for your family that you owe or have paid vs family income ..once at the allowable your are eligible for Medicaid for the rest of that month.

    Call me if you have more questions at 972-390-1101. ~ Kathryn Gohman

  2. Amanda McBride June 27, 2011 at 2:31 am #

    My 10 year old son was diagnosed with Ostersarcoma (Bone Cancer) in late April. I have had help with bills etc. however that has only taken us so far… I Googled and this website caught my eye. I jotted down some of your information & I’m praying these programs will HELP:( It’s hard on us emotionally as well as financially and we’re only 2 months into this, we have a long road ahead of us, but by the grace of God we will fight this. I could go on for days, but i thank you in advance:)

  3. tarisa February 4, 2012 at 10:07 pm #

    cancercare is an agency that after u have ur dr. ssign confirming your cancer,they will cut you a 100.00 check it out. also the area ooffice on aging in your comminuty has many prograns for sewniors also.

  4. stacey croci February 27, 2012 at 10:02 pm #

    I am wrighting u bec I need help financially.I am a singel mother of 5.I work but its hard.I have a 14 year old son who has a rare brain cancer.when he was 11 we found out that he had brain cancer.he went threw surgery had to learn how to speak walk all over again.then had to go back in and have his bone flap removed.he went threw months with a helment on until they put a plate in.then shortly after a year after the radiation stoped his cancer came back.this time he went under surgery again.this time they tried chemotherapy.its only been 8 months sense chemotherapy stopped and we found out last week that its back and that they found multiple tumors in his head.we don’t kn what kind of treatment they can do because he has already had the max of radiation he can have and chemotherapy has stopped just over 8mo ago.chemotherapy is just being research for that kind of cancer.we r barely getting van is barley running.I was told that there is a government grant that can help with a van.van

  5. Khuyen le-nguyen May 11, 2012 at 3:37 am #

    I was diagnosed of thyroid cancer two months After the birth of my third child in2007. I have underwent two surgeries and two radioactive treatments. After realizing the doctor might have mistaken surgeries and/or radioactive treatment, I have asked to be transferred to another doctor or medical center for a second opinion. I was denied. So i took the initiative to searcg myself and finally found one. I was told that I have received the max radioactive treatment and I should be sent to a bigger entity. This present doctor does not want me tossed around with no answers. I have been dealing with this cancer for almost five years and yet no direct answers. Now, the present doctor wants to send me to Atlanta for further evaluation but I’m a mother of three with no health insurance. I have been struggling just to pay the doctor bills. I need some options. Please advise

  6. Angie Marin May 18, 2012 at 2:45 am #

    My friend Ana was diagnosed with stomach cancer 4 days ago. She is a mother of 6 and has very low income. I would love it if y’all could help us out with whatever y’all can to get her the surgery she needs. We are starting bake sales and fundraisers but we need more help.

  7. Paula Ayala May 19, 2012 at 5:35 pm #

    I am writing you because my cousins wife who has 2 small children was just diagnosed with cancer. She needs a medicine called Vidacux only located in Mexico, Cuba, And Venezuela. They have been doing bake offs, fund-raising but it has not been enough. Right now part of her body has been paralyzed. We really need some kind of help can you direct us to some kind of organization that can give a hand.

  8. Marsha A.Green June 1, 2012 at 3:11 am #

    I am appealing to someone, anyone for financial assistance. I am a 60 year old single female who has recently been dx with stomach cancer with high dysplasia. The CAT SCAN reveals spots on my lung, and another parathyroid gland is enlarged.
    Surgery is the operative.
    I have exhausted my 401K & CD’s.
    I have bills & and apartment to maintain.
    I was denied SSD.

    I need advise & support.
    I am a good person and GOD will deliver.
    Thank you,

  9. Jaimee Drake June 5, 2012 at 4:48 am #

    Hello…my name is Jaimee. I am 31 years of age with two boys, ages 4 and 7. I have just recently been diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer and just had a double mastectomy on May 16th. I am starting intensive chemo next week and am in need of support in every way…financial…emotional…I have no clue where to start for anything so if anyone could give advise it would be much appreciated….I am a single Mom and currently not working and am not sure what I’m going to…I need help…God Bless

  10. Carolyn June 22, 2012 at 9:03 pm #

    Jaimee , my name is Carolyn. I too was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer. You need to apply for social security disability. That way your children will also draw a check. You should apply for ssi . Also. Good luck and my prayers are with you. Seek Gods guidance and turn it over to him? Faith is the key word! I pray Gods healing power on your body. Carolyn

  11. Ufemia June 28, 2012 at 3:59 am #


    I have a friend who was diagnosed cancer in her face she is in Santiago, Chile and she needs to travel to Bolivia and she is going in bus but she did not feel good for the chemo, the travel is more than three days in bus, and she is traveling with her son who has 6 years old, then she needs to return to chile, it will be a long travel, I need a person who can help her with buying the tickets for fly to Bolivia, please somebody can help us in this, I think it will be really hard for them to travel via bus. Please help us, God bless you!!! Can I give the names and you can buy the tickets, thank you.

  12. Hussain June 28, 2012 at 5:35 am #

    With lot of respect it is requested that my Brother is patient of blood cancer. I hereby appeal to all on humenity ground that we will be very thankfull if anybody help us please. with thanks

  13. Dashawn Pringle July 5, 2012 at 2:03 pm #

    Hi. I am a 25 year old single mother and Im having a difficult time Im taking care of my mother who was recently diagnosed with breast cancer stage 4 and now its in her liver. my mother needs treatment but its very expensive hoping and praying that if there is anyone out there to help please do she doesnt have much time. we can use any donations or info too.

  14. Tom Runyan July 9, 2012 at 6:26 pm #

    My wife has stage 4 pancreatic cancer and surgury is not a option. She has been going through treatments for 1 and 1/2 years, but the company she works for says she has run out of options with the fmla and her sick benefits. We stand to lose everything we have worked for if we cannot find some kind of help. I pray every night for God to send me help. We dont want handouts from people like us, that are struggleing, but there has to be some sort of help for good honest people. Any information is greatly appreciated.

  15. evargas July 16, 2012 at 2:55 am #

    She can file for disability. Her employment should have offered every employee disability insurance. Inquire about it through the company’s Human Resources or benefit department. If that does not work, try these things: You may want to talk to your local representative or your local newspaper. Have you contacted the American Cancer Society or The Pancreatic Cancer Society? You are not alone. Try the hospital’s administration.

  16. Laurie Riggs August 16, 2012 at 3:00 am #

    I am 31. was misdiagnosed due to normal pap smears and ended up being in stage 4 cancer that spread from cervix, to lymphs, and i went thru radiation, chemo, two surgeries, and internal radiation. I have been fortunate enough to somehow barely make it financially up until this point but i have no one else to help me. my disability got approved but there is a holding period on that. the American Cancer Society does not help, not enough funding, etc. i have gotten NOOOO where with them thru this whole thing. I am now stuck with my cervix is clear of cancer but during treatment, it was still spreading thru my body and is now in my lungs. the area is not able to be removed or radiated. I need financial help with utilities and rent. All of these websites are lies. i have tried applying for everything and anything and it’s all just scams and lies and false hope which i think is horrible to do to people when they are fighting for their life. I was told by one web site that my cancer wasn’t serious enough. I’m not sure how much more serious stage 4 can be?! especially with it still spreading. does anyone have any legite websites or info of people that actually do help without lies or wanting your credit card number? i am a single mom. my daughter is 8. I really need help . thank you!

  17. Mary Young August 18, 2012 at 4:29 am #

    I am a 7 year PC survivor and like you was having trouble at one point making ends meet. Please check with Cancercare, their website is Also, contact your Hospital’s Social Services Department. They can help you directly and/or give you agencies in your area that will be able to give aid. There is help available! ALSO, please get a letter from your doctor as to your medical condition. Most utility companies do have a heart and will work with you provided they have proof you are ill. Check with your utitility companies as to what they require. Please email me if I can help…or even if you need to vent. I am praying for you and that sweet little daughter was 9 when I was dx’d so I can relate.

  18. Dina Branham April 17, 2016 at 1:48 pm #

    i need help lost job husband has prostate cancer had treatments in 2009 now it is back an PSA test up to 28 need some one to help we have no money to get treatments and have no insurance he is 59

Leave a Reply