Many people are faced with their insurance companies telling them that they will not longer pay for the medicine(s) that could save their lives.
What if you needed the brand name drug and were told… I am sorry but we will not pay for this even if it’s a life or death situation.
What would you do? Who would you go to other than your doctor to complain?
One option is to look on the web for free or low cost medicines. www.needymeds.com
What should you do next?
1. Get out your medicine bottles.
You need to know the name of each medicine and how much you take. This is on the medicine label that has your name on it.
2. Go to www.needymeds.com on the internet. It lists all the drugs you can get from the drug makers for FREE or low cost.
• Look on the left side of the screen. If you take a brand name medicine, click on Brand Name List. If you take a generic medicine, click on Generic Name List. Don’t know if a drug is brand name or generic? Check for the drug on both lists. Or, ask the drug store.
• You will see a long list of medicines. Look for your medicine. You can click on the letters above the list. Example: Click on “R”. It will take you to the list of medicines that start with the letter R. Can’t find your generic medicine on the list? Look up the brand name. If you can get it free, you may want to switch to the brand name. Not sure what the other name for your medicine is? Ask your doctor or the drug store.
• When you find your medicine, click on its name. You will see a chart. It tells you:
who can get the drug for free or a lower price.
if the drug maker sends the drug to you or to your doctor.
how much medicine you can get at a time.
how to get refills.
what your doctor has to do to help you.
how to apply. It will say if you can call and ask for an application. Sometimes the doctor has to apply for you. Sometimes you have to click on some words to get the application. Example: Click here to download PDF.
• When you get the application, read it. Some drug companies let you fill it out if your doctor signs it. Some drug companies only take applications if your doctor applies for you. Is your doctor applying for you? You can make it easier if you have already found the drug programs you qualify for.
• Your doctor will need to write a prescription for your medicine. Send the prescription in with your application.
Do you take more than one medicine? On the www.needymeds.com website,you will have to look up each drug. Are they made by different companies? Then you will have to apply with each company.
Don’t want to go on the internet?
You can call Partnership for Prescription Assistance for free at 1-888-477-2669. They will help you look for free or low cost brand name medicine programs.
Also ask your doctor for free samples of the medicine.